Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Happy Birthday, Satchmo!

Satchmo was a nickname.

My nickname is Jazz, and that has it’s roots in the birthday boy for August 4th. Louis "Satchmo" Armstrong, trumpet wailer and jazz crooner, was born on this day. When I was just a kid, being bombarded by music on all sides (Beatles, Bob Dylan, Stravinsky, Glenn Miller,and the list goes on,....) I found a new form of music on my own: jazz.
I heard Louis singing one day on the radio and was smitten. That rich, deep voice started me down a path that eventually led to Weather Report and Jaco Pastorius.
I cannot thank Louis enough for opening a door that might not have been. I know many in my age group didn’t hear of him til a movie called “Good Morning Vietnam”, but he’s a old standby in my house.
As a matter of fact, I think I will go put on a CD right now......

Immortality doesn’t necessarily mean living forever in flesh, but rather in the world’s heart.
Happy birthday,Louis.

No comments: