Thursday, December 27, 2007

A Couple of Special Birthdays to Remember

I put these on myspace, and then realized THIS is where they belong. These two guys, and the band they helped start, put on the map and make into an international phenomenon, mean a lot to me. And we share a birth month, which makesit even more special.



RAY THOMAS





MIKE PINDER





THE MOODY BLUES, CIRCA 1965




and another, a bit early.......





Ray Thomas, another of the founding members of the Moody Blues has a birthday on the 29th. Ray retired from the music biz a couple of years ago, feeling he had done his bit. Now was time to play with the grandkids and fish to his contentment. Ian Anderson once called Ray the master flautist of rock-n-roll, no small compliment. He also possesses a beautiful Welsh voice. Who can forget that lovely warble of "Timothy Leary's Dead......no,no,no, he's outside, looking in."

and just for good measure:



One of my favourite 45 covers from the 1963-65 version of the band. I have no idea what Denny Laine is up to these days, but Graeme Edge is still playing drums. To paraphrase the Grateful Dead, what a lovely, long, strange trip it's been.

Many happy returns of the day, Ray. I hope with all my heart that you are happy, healthy, and smilin' on your birthday. You too are sorely missed.


Happy Birthday


Mike Pinder, one of the founders of my dear Moody Blues. I still miss your voice out there, buddy. It's been too many years.




Currently listening :
Among the Stars
By Mike Pinder
Release date: 21 February, 1995

No comments: