Monday, October 08, 2007

Imagine




Is there a definitive image of John Ono Lennon that the world will remember him by? I doubt it. He is destined to become a legend, a fallen hero relegated to history books which don't catch half the poignancy of his life. It is the way of things.

I remember the Beatles on the Ed Sullivan Show when I was about 5. I remember the covers of magazines that both blasted and embraced the guys of that band. Mostly, I remember the music, which played in the house until my siblings all left for college or other stuff. It rang in my ears so much, I bought myself copies of the LPs, to fill the gaps my sibs had left.

I remember the break-up. It stunned the world, because none of us were really paying attention. Hindsight is 20/20, and now we see that business was tearing the music to shreds. If they could've given over the business and been able to trust someone to let them be the artists they were and are, who knows? The Beatles, like the Rolling Stones, might still be out there.

And I remember one really bad day.

I don't want to write about it here. I want to remember what was positive about John, how he had finally some to love his life, and make music that showed his soul was at peace. That's why the picture of his boys. He left us a good legacy in them.

So here's to you, Johnny. You might not have realised it then, but you and your friends changed the world, quite literally. I will always wonder what might have been, but I too will celebrate what was, and is. After all, all you need is love.

"all we are saying is give peace a chance."

2 comments:

Blueberry said...

I always remember this birthday. You are the only other person I've seen so far who blogged it today.

PJD said...

A few others on myspace have, but it gets forgotten too often now. It almost slipped past me.
Thanks BB. Hope to see you soon.